Welcome to the Progress 59 Online
Information Center developed to provide you with
ongoing information about projects and improvements
to Interstate 59 in Jefferson County, Alabama.
Repave and Bridge Raising on I-59 from Alabama
Adventure Parkway (Exit 110) to north of the CSXT
Railroad Overpass in Bessemer,
Major Project Benefits
- Smoother driving surface.
- Wider Lanes
- Safer Driving Conditions
Length: 1.65 miles
Construction Began: March 2012
Project Completed: Summer
I-59 SB Detour
I-59 NB Detour
- During NB interstate closures, Through Traffic
may use I-65 & I-459. Local Traffic may
use Exit 108
(Academy Drive) to U.S. Highway
11 North to 19th Street West to I-59 at Exit
112 (18th & 19th Streets).
- During SB interstate closures, Through Traffic
may use I-65 and I-459. Local Traffic
may use Exit 112 .
(18th & 19th Streets) to
U.S. Highway 11 South to I-59 at Exit 108 (Academy
Expected Public Impact:
NB & SB Interstate Closures • Exit 110 Closure
• Alternate Routes • Increased Law Enforcement
Work Zone Driving Tips
- Adhere to the posted speed limits.
- Pay attention.
- Use proper turn signals for lane changes.
- Do not weave in and out of traffic.
- Keep a safe distance from the car ahead.
- Minimize distractions such as using cellular
- As always, buckle up.
- For your safety and the safety of others,
watch for lane/ramp closures and detour signs.
- Continue to pay attention to work zone signs,
even when the work is long term or widespread.
- Remain Calm.